• Home
  • -
  • Grad Etc FAQ | UCLA Store

Frequently Asked Questions - Grad Etc. & Campus Photo Studio

What do I need to wear for graduation?

For undergrads, you will need to wear a Bachelor Unit which is a cap, gown and tassel. For master or doctoral students, you will need to wear a gown, hood, cap and tassel. Options such as “Class of 2024” sashes and degree cords can also be worn but not required.

When can I start ordering my Cap and Gown for graduation?

Graduation regalia and accessories will go on sale in February and March.

Where can I order my graduation materials?

Undergrads can purchase your graduation items either over the counter at the Grad Etc. office on A Level of Ackerman Union or online through the UCLA Store. Grad students must order online. Purchase your items as early as possible to make sure we have your size and while supplies are abundant.

Is graduation regalia rented or can we keep them?

For Undergrads, you will be purchasing a Bachelor Unit. For Master or Doctoral grads, most students rent those units. You return the gown and hood and keep the cap and tassel.

I am a Master or Doctoral student. Can I buy my regalia instead of renting it?

Yes, you can but you need to order well in advance. Click here to place an order for the UCLA PhD – Official Regalia Package. Jostens requires at least 5 weeks for delivery. For other doctoral and master regalia, please contact Grad Etc. at gradetc@aucla.ucla.edu. Those units take up to 8 weeks to process and deliver.

Where do we drop off our rented graduation regalia?

Master and Doctoral students must return their rentals no later than 5pm on Friday June 21st, 2024 which is the Friday following commencement weekend. You can return your regalia immediately following your ceremony or by dropping them off at Grad Etc. (A Level of Ackerman Union) during normal business hours prior to June 21st. Shipping your gown and hood is also an option as long as it is postmarked before the end of day on June 21st. Please include your full name, Student ID, and School information so we can properly record the return.

UCLA Grad Etc.
308 Westwood Plaza
A Level Ackerman Union
Los Angeles, CA 90095

Please note that all regalia returned after June 21st, will be subject to a $50 late fee and holds will be placed on your official school records if regalia is not returned.

Sashes. Where can I buy them and are they mandatory?

Graduation sashes are not a mandatory item for graduation however they are wildly popular. There are four different options; UCLA Class of 2024, UCLA Bruins Sash, or the UCLA Seal Sash in gold or white. Class of 2024 sashes will sell out prior to Commencement Weekend so make sure to either purchase one over the counter at Grad Etc or purchase one online while ordering your Cap and Gown. Sashes may be purchased over the counter or online beginning at the start of winter quarter. Do not delay if you are interested in purchasing a sash, buy it early as they will sell out.

How do I get my sash personalized?

Bruin Custom Print is the department which offers customization of sashes. Once you have purchased and received your sash, you can walk it into the Bruin Custom Print office on A Level of Ackerman Union or you can go to their website for other options. Personalize quickly as the turnaround time for this service can take up to 6 weeks.

I am not in town. Can a friend pick up my Cap and Gown and graduation materials?

Yes, however your friend will need to bring your order number and some form of authorization from you that they are cleared to pick up on your behalf.

Can I wait until graduation weekend to pick up my materials?

We highly discourage picking up your items at the last minute. Either have them shipped or have a friend pick them up well before your ceremony. While you may have ordered early, you need to physically pick up your items well in advance to make sure your get the correct size and items. Do not wait.

How do I get my Latin Honor or Chancellors Service Award cords?

Honor cords can be purchased at the Campus Photo Studio or the Pick-Up Window on A Level of Ackerman Union starting the final two weeks of school. The schools will not confirm eligibility until the final two weeks. Following your ceremony, you can choose to keep your cords or return them within a week for a full refund.

Do I also get my College Honor Cords with Grad Etc.?

College Honor Cords are distributed through your honors college. Contact them for full details.

Where do I get my graduation tickets?

Please visit our link to the UCLA Commencement Information page.

Where can I get information about Class Rings?

Jostens is the official UCLA class ring provider. Visit the Jostens.com website for ordering and more details.

Where can I take my senior photos?

The UCLA Campus Photo Studio is located on A Level of Ackerman Union. Appointments can be placed online. We recommend you book early as sitting fees increase as the year progresses and appointments are harder to come by and do eventually book up solid